Article version: Enterprise Server 2.20
Configuring an outbound web proxy server
A proxy server provides an additional level of security for your GitHub Enterprise Server instance.
When a proxy server is enabled for your GitHub Enterprise Server instance, outbound messages sent by GitHub Enterprise Server are first sent through the proxy server, unless the destination host is added as an HTTP proxy exclusion. Types of outbound messages include outgoing webhooks, uploading bundles, and fetching legacy avatars. The proxy server's URL is the protocol, domain or IP address, plus the port number, for example
Note: To connect your GitHub Enterprise Server instance to GitHub.com, your proxy configuration must allow connectivity to
api.github.com. For more information, see "Connecting GitHub Enterprise Server to GitHub.com."
- In the upper-right corner of any page, click .
- In the left sidebar, click Management Console.
- In the left sidebar, click Privacy.
- Under HTTP Proxy Server, type the URL of your proxy server.
- Optionally, under HTTP Proxy Exclusion, type any hosts that do not require proxy access, separating hosts with commas.
- Under the left sidebar, click Save settings.