You can search commits using search qualifiers in any combination to narrow your search results.
- This article contains example searches on the GitHub.com website, but you can use the same search filters on your GitHub Enterprise instance.
- There's a list of search syntaxes you can add to any search qualifier to further improve your results.
- Use quotations around your multi-word search terms. For example, if you want to search for issues with the label "In progress," you'd search for
label:"in progress". Search is not case sensitive.
Search within commit messages
You can find commits that contain particular words in the message.
- fix typo
- Matches commits containing the words "fix" and "typo".
Search by author or committer
You can find commits by a particular user with the author or committer qualifiers.
- Matches commits authored by @defunkt.
- Matches commits committed by @defunkt.
The author-name and committer-name qualifiers match commits by the name of the author or committer.
- Matches commits with "wanstrath" in the author name.
- Matches commits with "wanstrath" in the committer name.
The author-email and committer-email qualifiers match commits by the author's or committer's full email address.
- Matches commits authored by email@example.com.
- Matches commits committed by firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search within a user or organization's repositories
To find commits from all repositories owned by a certain user or organization, use the user qualifier. To find commits from a specific repository, use the repo qualifier. For example:
- Matches commits from repositories owned by @defunkt.
- Matches commits from @defunkt's "gibberish" repository.
Search by authored or committed date
Use the author-date and committer-date qualifiers to match commits authored or committed within the specified date range.
- Matches commits authored before 2016-01-01.
- Matches commits committed before 2016-01-01.
Filter merge commits
The merge qualifier filters merge commits.
Search by hash
The hash qualifier matches commits with the specified SHA-1 hash.
- Matches commits with the hash 124a9a0ee1d8f1e15e833aff432fbb3b02632105.
Search by parent
The parent qualifier matches commits whose parent has the specified SHA-1 hash.
- Matches children of 124a9a0ee1d8f1e15e833aff432fbb3b02632105.
Filter public or private repositories
The is qualifier matches public or private commits.
Sort the results by author or committer date
Use the sort qualifier to sort by authored or committed date in descending or ascending order.
- feature sort:author-date-desc
- Sorts commits containing the word "feature" by descending author date.
- feature sort:author-date-asc
- Sorts commits containing the word "feature" by ascending author date.
- feature sort:committer-date-desc
- Sorts commits containing the word "feature" by descending committer date.
- feature sort:committer-date-asc
- Sorts commits containing the word "feature" by ascending committer date.