When you purchase GitHub Enterprise, you're given a license file to validate your application. A license file has an expiration date and controls the number of user accounts that can connect to your GitHub Enterprise instance.
Once you downloaded and install GitHub Enterprise, the license file unlocks the application for you to use. It also allows you to access the Management Console for the first time. The GitHub Enterprise license file ends with the
If your GitHub Enterprise license expires:
- You won't be able to access your GitHub Enterprise instance via a web browser.
- You won't be able to interact with your appliance via Git operations.
- You will be able to use command-line utilities to back up all your data. For more information, see "Configuring backups on your appliance."
- how many seats are in use
- how many seats are available
- when the license expires
If you have any questions about renewing your license, please contact our sales and account management team.