Blocking a user from your organization
Organization owners can block a user to remove the user's ability to collaborate in the organization's repositories.
You can block a user from within your organization's settings or from a specific comment made by the user. When you block a user in a comment, you can choose to send the user a notification explaining that they were blocked and why. Otherwise, the user is not directly notified that you've blocked them.
When you block a user, you can choose to block them indefinitely or for a specific amount of time. If you block someone for a specific amount of time, they are automatically unblocked after the chosen time expires. If you block someone indefinitely, you can unblock them manually at any time. For more information, see "Unblocking a user from your organization."
Tip: If you're blocking a user because of a heated conversation, consider locking the conversation so only collaborators can comment.
At the time that you block a user from your organization:
- The user stops watching your organization's repositories
- The user's stars and issue assignments are removed from your repositories
- The user is removed as a collaborator on your organization's repositories
After you've blocked a user from your organization, they cannot:
- Cross-reference your organization's repositories in comments
- Fork, watch, or star your organization's repositories
In your organization's repositories, blocked users also cannot:
- Open issues or send pull requests
- Comment on issues, pull requests, or commits
- Add or edit wiki pages
- Navigate to the comment whose author you would like to block.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Block user.
- If you'd like to set a time limit for the block, use the Block user drop-down menu, and select the amount of time you'd like to block the user.
- If you'd like to hide all of the comments the user has made in the organization, select Hide this user's comments and choose a reason.
- If you'd like to notify the user why they're being blocked, select Send a notification to this user.
- To block the user, click Block user from organization or Block user from organization and send message.
To block an organization member, first remove the user from the organization.
In the top right corner of GitHub, click your profile photo, then click Your profile.
On the left side of your profile page, under "Organizations", click the icon for your organization.
Under your organization name, click Settings.
In your organization's Settings sidebar, click Blocked users.
Under "Block a user", type the username of the user you'd like to block.
If you'd like to set a time limit for the block, use the Block options drop-down menu, and select the amount of time you'd like to block the user.
Click Block user.