Article version: Enterprise Server 2.20
Placing a legal hold on a user or organization
You can place a legal hold on a user or organization to ensure that repositories they own cannot be permanently removed from your GitHub Enterprise Server instance.
Usually, if someone deletes a repository, it will be available on disk for 90 days and can be restored via the site admin dashboard. After 90 days the repository is purged and deleted forever. If you place a legal hold on a user or organization, repositories they own are available for restore indefinitely.
- Sign in to your GitHub Enterprise Server instance at
- In the upper-right corner of any page, click .
- In the search field, type the name of the user or organization and click Search.
- In the search results, click the name of the user or organization.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, click Admin.
- In the left sidebar, click Admin.
- Click Place legal hold.