Article version: Enterprise Server 2.20
You can choose to set up a new organization or convert an existing personal account into an organization.
An organization is a collection of user accounts that owns repositories. Organizations have one or more owners, who have administrative privileges for the organization. Organizations can also be used for namespacing—for example,
http(s)://[hostname]/[organization name]/ takes you to an organization's profile on GitHub Enterprise Server, while
http(s)://[hostname]/[organization name]/[repository name]/ takes you to a repository's profile.
When you create an organization, it doesn't have any repositories associated with it. At any time, members of the organization with the Owner role can add new repositories, or transfer existing repositories. For more information, see "Transferring a repository".
- In the upper-right corner of any page, click your profile photo, then click Settings.
- In your user settings sidebar, click Organizations.
- In the "Organizations" section, click New organization.
- Under "Organization name", give the organization a name.
- Under "Contact email," type the email address of a person who can be contacted for more information about the organization.
- Click Create organization.