Article version: Enterprise Server 2.20
Configuring DNS nameservers
GitHub Enterprise Server uses the dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) for DNS settings when DHCP leases provide nameservers. If nameservers are not provided by a dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) lease, or if you need to use specific DNS settings, you can specify the nameservers manually.
The nameservers you specify must resolve your GitHub Enterprise Server instance's hostname.
Note: If you change the hostname of your GitHub Enterprise Server instance, images and other assets that use absolute URLs, such as embedded issues, will not load. For a basic server rename, we recommend keeping the old hostname as a CNAME on the SSL certificate to ensure assets continue to load from the old hostname.
- Using your virtualization platform tools, open the virtual machine console.
- To start your network setup, press S.
- Configure nameservers for your instance.
- To finish configuring your settings, press D.
- SSH into your GitHub Enterprise Server instance.
$ ssh -p 122 admin@HOSTNAME
- To edit your nameservers, enter:
$ sudo vim /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
- Append any
nameserverentries, then save the file.
- After verifying your changes, save the file.
- To add your new nameserver entries to your GitHub Enterprise Server instance, enter:
$ sudo service resolvconf restart