As a student, you can apply for the Student Developer Pack, which offers a free subscription to various developer tools and a free Developer plan with unlimited private repositories for your personal user account.
Before applying for an individual discount, check if your learning community is already partnered with us as a GitHub Education school. For more information, see "About GitHub Education."
To be eligible for a Student Developer Pack, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in a degree or diploma granting course of study
- Have a verifiable school-issued email address or share documents that prove your current student status
- Have a GitHub user account
- Be at least 13 years old
During your tenure as a student, you may be prompted to periodically re-verify your current academic status.
Your application will be processed more quickly if you add your academic email address to your account and verify your email address before applying for the Student Developer Pack. For more information, see "Adding an email address to your GitHub account" and "Verifying your email address."
If you don’t have an academic email address, you can upload your school ID, academic transcript, or other proof of affiliation that shows at least one date to prove your current academic status.
Note: You cannot transfer academic discounts from one account to another. If you have more than one account you want to apply the discount to, consider merging your user accounts and renaming the retained account if desired.
For information about renewing your Student Developer Pack, see "Expiration and renewals."
- Go to GitHub's Student Developer Pack page and click Get your pack.
- Review the eligibility requirements. If you meet them, click Yes, I'm a student.
Type your name.
Verify your academic status.
- If you have a school-issued email address, use the drop-down menu and click the desired email address.
- If you don't have a school-issued email address, click upload proof of your current school affiliation. Next, upload an image of your school or faculty ID, employment verification letter, academic transcript, or other proof of affiliation that shows at least one date to prove your current academic status.
Note: PDF files are not supported and you cannot upload them as proof of affiliation.
Enter the school name.
Select your graduation year.
- Describe how you plan to use GitHub.
Verify your application details, then click Submit Request.
If your application is approved, you'll receive a confirmation email. Applications are usually processed within a few days, but it may take longer during peak times, such as during the start of a new semester.
Expiration and renewals
Once your Student Developer Pack access expires, you may reapply if you're still eligible, although some of our partner offers cannot renew. Most of the timed offers from our partners start once you set them up. For more information, see the Student Developer Pack page.
To see when your free Developer plan expires, visit your account's billing settings.