As an educator, you can apply for a free Team plan, which allows unlimited users and private repositories for your student club's GitHub organization.
Before applying for an individual discount, check if your learning community is already partnered with us as a GitHub Education school. For more information, see "About GitHub Education."
To apply for an education discount for your school club, you must:
- Have a personal user account
- Have an organization account to use for your school club discount
- Be an educator or faculty member
- Have a verifiable school-issued email address or share documents that prove your school affiliation
If your discount request is approved, your organization is automatically upgraded to your new billing plan.
After your discount expires, you may reapply for a discount if you're still eligible.
Go to GitHub Education, and in the top right, click Join GitHub Education.
Select your academic role.
Select Organization account, then click Next.
Using the organization drop-down menu, click the organization you want to use with GitHub Education.
Tip: If the organization you want to use doesn't exist yet, create a new organization on the open source plan, which offers free public repositories. If your discount request is approved, your organization will be automatically upgraded so your organization can have private repositories. For more information, see "Creating a new organization from scratch" and "Organization billing plans."
To describe your organization's purpose, select Student group.
Complete the form with information about your student group, answer any questions, then click Next.
Type your name.
Verify your academic status.
- If you have a school-issued email address, use the drop-down menu and click the desired email address.
- If you don't have a school-issued email address, use the drop-down menu and click Upload proof of current school affiliation. Next, upload an image of your school or faculty ID, employment verification letter, academic transcript, or other proof of affiliation that shows at least one date to prove your current academic status.
Note: PDF files are not supported and you cannot upload them as proof of affiliation.
Enter the school name.
Describe how you plan to use GitHub in your school club.
Verify your application details, then click Submit Request.
If your application is approved, you'll receive a confirmation email. Applications are usually processed within a few days, but it may take longer during peak times, such as during the start of a new semester.