If you're an educator, you can apply for a free Team plan, which allows unlimited users and private repositories for your classroom's organization account.
To apply for an education discount for your classroom, you must:
- Have a personal user account
- Have an organization account to use for your classroom discount
- Be an educator or faculty member
- Have a verifiable school-issued email address or share documents that prove your school affiliation
If your discount request is approved, your organization is automatically upgraded to your new billing plan.
After your discount expires, you may reapply for a discount if you're still eligible.
Go to GitHub's Education page and click Request a discount.
Select your academic role.
Select Organization account, then click Next.
Use the organization drop-down menu, and click the organization you want to apply the education discount to.
To describe your organization's purpose, select Classroom.
- Complete the form with information about your class, including the number of private repositories you need, then click Next.
Type your name.
Verify your academic status.
- If you have a school-issued email address, use the drop-down menu and click the desired email address.
- If you don't have a school-issued email-address, use the drop-down menu and click I don't have a school-issued email address. Next, upload an image of your school or faculty ID, employment verification letter, academic transcript, or other proof of affiliation that shows at least one date to prove your current academic status.
Enter the school name.
Describe how you plan to use GitHub in your classroom.
Verify your application details, then click Submit Request.
If your application is approved, you'll receive a confirmation email. Applications are usually processed within a few days, but it may take longer during peak times, such as during the start of a new semester.